Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Yebo! from South Africa

Yebo!  That means hello in Zulu.  This is Stacy McCarthy reporting from Port Shepstone, South Africa. 
Today we had an awesome day- as every other day so far.  They just keep getting better and better.  This morning we woke up SUPER early (around 6:30) to have breakfast at 7:15.  I’m not going to lie.... breakfast was a little bit sketchy today.  I think Kellan told you before that all meals here at Sogkheim come in courses.  The first course was “porridge”... I didn’t partake.  But the croissants were very delicious.  The reason we were up so early was to meet the staff of Norwegians Settlers Church for their morning staff meeting and devotional.  We sang some songs (some more old school than others- anyone remember Rich Mullins?!?) and then went around and introduced ourselves- what we did- and the staff introduced themselves as well.  
After the staff meeting we went to the Genesis Care Center that is on the grounds of the  NSC.  Sharon, the head of the Care Center, told us a little bit about the Care Center and the patients.  I know she loves her job- because it very hard to deal with death everyday.  The Care Center is for HIV/AIDS patients who have no where else to go.  Their mission is to give them a place to die comfortably and to show them God’s love.  We went in and sang some songs for both the women’s and men’s wards, also Adara gave her testimony and Jeremy gave a little talk.  Afterwards we went and were able to pray for them.  I know it was a hard task for some of us- including me.   But I know I have grown in my faith and as a person by doing this.  Sharon also showed us all the bead work the patients do and the garden they have started to build.  It is quite amazing to see how they are setting up some aftercare (for the patients who actually do well enough to go home!!).  
For lunch we drove to Ramsgate Beach to eat at the waffle house.  I know what you are thinking Waffle House... really?!?!  I was skeptical too.  But it lived up to the hype of those who had been there before.  They had both sweet and savory waffles.  I got the Dutch Apple with raisins and it was delicious.  Right after lunch we were able to walk around the beach.  It was my first time to be in the Indian Ocean.  Very cool, and very cold!!  Kellan did a face plant into it- it was awesome.  We were still laughing about it tonight (don’t worry Molly he’s fine).
After lunch we went to Murchinson Community Center to play with the kids again.  They are SO sweet.  We busted out the side walk chalk at the beginning.  A lot of the kids were writing “I love God”.  One kid asked me “what is love” .... insert the screeching noise here.... what??? how do you answer that???  I wasn’t sure it that was a for real question or a language barrier.  I know it pulled on my heart strings to think that some of these kids do not know what love is.  I gave him a BIG hug and said it’s when you like some thing A LOT like God loves us A LOT.  On tuesdays at Murchinson they do a music class, I know Kellan had about 15 girls to do singing, and the music man at NCS had about 12 boys playing guitar- they were all really good. They craft for today was a disaster- but I have already given Jeremy a really hard time about it - let’s just say popsicle stick picture frames made with glue sticks wasn’t really the best.  Oh well the kids still loved it and my hands were very sticky afterwards.  
We were able to come back to Sogkheim to change out of our sweaty clothes.  Then we met Lynn and her husband Gary at an Italian restaurant.  They are some of the leaders within the Genesis group.  It was good to get to know them and be inspired by all the progress they are making here is South Africa and how the partnership with LakePointe is growing and changing lives.  I know we were encouraged by them and they were encouraged by us.
Well I know I have blogged enough by now... Today was a very intense day at the Care Center pushing us out of our comfort zone and for most all of us today will stay in our hearts forever.  Please pray for us tomorrow as we are going to be able to go into the Primary School and promote the Murchinson Community Center and the Genesis ministries.  
Everyone says HI and much love from Africa!!!
~ Stacy McCarthy ~
Leave your comments below!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you guys are having fun! What a great opportunity this is! I have been avidly checking this blog to see all the new posts, and am always sad when there isn't one since the last time I checked. i think i should probably cut it down to three times a day. Hahaha!

    Love and Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an absolutely perfect day. And only Kellan could still find a way to ham it up 1/2 way around the world!

    ReplyDelete